Thanks to a joined effort of IBM, RedHat, Microsoft, and Sine Nomine Associates, as well as the .NET and Mono open source communities, .NET 6 is now available for IBM Z and LinuxONE.
.NET 6.0 for IBM Z and LinuxONE can be obtained via:
- .NET 6.0 RPM packages in the AppStream repositories of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5
- .NET 6.0 runtime & SDK UBI container images:
- Use the ubi8/dotnet-60-runtime image to run a precompiled application.
- Use the ubi8/dotnet-60 to build applications yourself.
In order to build a .NET application for IBM Z, the application has to be ported to .NET 6.0 first. This "porting" often just means to bump up all dependencies on older .NET components to its .NET 6.0 versions. Please see the presentation from Ulrich Weigand below. It uses a common open source package as an example to explain what needs to be done.
- IBM Announcement:
- RedHat Announcement:
- Microsoft Announcement:
- .NET conference presentation by IBM Distingiushed Engineer, Ulrich Weigand